Kaniecki Family: From West Prussia to Buffalo, New York
Jan, Rozalia, and Anna Kaniecki emigrated on 9 Apr 1882 from Hamburg, Germany, on the German ship Rhenania of the Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft (HAPAG) Hamburg America Line. The German record listed Jan‘s occupation as arbeiter (worker), and his age as 30. His wife Rosalie was 33, and their daughter Anna was 10 months old.
The Hamburg passenger list indicates they came from Roggenhausen, which was a village in Graudenz, Marienwerder, Westpreußen, Preußen, 5 kilometers (3.2 miles) from Klein Schönbrück/Szembruczek, the village where Martin Szczepański and Anna Kalinowska originated.
The Kaniecki family arrived in the Port of New York 27 Apr 1882. They were listed alongside the Szczepański family in the 1892 New York State census in Buffalo, Erie, New York.
Rogóźno (German: Roggenhausen) is a village in Grudziądz County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north-central Poland. It is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Rogóźno.
The settlement lies in the historic Chełmno Land, approximately 12 kilometres (7 mi) north-east of Grudziądz and 60 km (37 mi) north of Toruń. In 2011 the village had a population of 946.
The church in Rogóźno is Kościół Świętego Wojciecha Biskupa i Męczennika w Rogóźnie, St Adalbert, Bishop and Martyr. The church registers were filmed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as Roman Catholic parish register of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Roggenhausen, West Prussia, Germany; now Rogóźno (Grudziądz), Bydgoszcz, Poland. Text in Polish, Latin and German and are available online and at a Family History Center.
Jan Kaniecki and Rozalia Krause were married on 23 Aug 1874 in Roggenhausen/Rogóźno. His age was listed as 25 and hers as 26. Martin Kalinowski and M. Ziburtowicz were witnesses.
Rozalia Krause was born in Roggenhausen/Rogóźno on 17 Jan 1846 to Marianne Krause and baptized 29 Mar 1846.
Jan Kaniecki was born 16 Aug 1850 and baptized 16 Aug 1850 in Groß Schönbrück/Szembruk. His parents were Wojciech Kaniecki and Marianna Kalynowska.
Wojciech Kaniecki and Marianna Kałynowska were married 11 November 1849 in Groß Schönbrück/Szembruk, West Prussia. Wojciech was 25 years old, so he would have been born about 1824. Marianna was 24 years old, so she would have been born about 1825. Witnesses were Wojciech Kałynowski and Andreas (Andrzej in Polish) Kaniecki.
Jan Kaniecki‘s mother was born Marianna Kalinowska, so she was probably related to Anna Kalinowska Szczepanska‘s father Jan Kalinowski in the old country, but we do not yet know how.
- Wikipedia contributors. (2017, June 29). Rogóźno, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 14:01, March 17, 2019, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rog%C3%B3%C5%BAno,_Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship&oldid=788143812
- File:Kościół w Rogóźnie, dekanat Łasin, powiat grudziądzki.JPG. (2016, November 20). Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository. Retrieved 14:03, March 17, 2019 from https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Ko%C5%9Bci%C3%B3%C5%82_w_Rog%C3%B3%C5%BAnie,_dekanat_%C5%81asin,_powiat_grudzi%C4%85dzki.JPG&oldid=216328521.
- “Passenger Lists,” database, Staatsarchiv Hamburg, Ancestry (ancestry.com: accessed November 2017), Jan Kanicki; citing ship manifests.
- “Ancestry,” database, Ancestry (ancestry.com: accessed 3 March 2019), Jan Hanicki; citing Passenger Lists.
- LDS Family History Library, “Roggenhausen (Graudenz),” database, Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja, Family Search (familysearch.com: accessed March 2018), Kaniecki – Krause; citing Germany, Preußen, Westpreußen, Roggenhausen – Church records. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZL-891R-J?i=316&cat=307697
- LDS Family History Library, “Roggenhausen (Graudenz),” database, Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja, Family Search (familysearch.com: accessed March 2018), Rozalia Krause; citing Germany, Preußen, Westpreußen, Roggenhausen – Church records. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZL-DF18?i=469&cat=307697
- LDS Family History Library, “Szembruk (Grudziądz),” database, Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja, Family Search (familysearch.com: accessed January 2018), Jan Kaniecki; citing Germany, Preußen, Westpreußen, Groß Schönbrück – Church records. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS8M-3ZH5
- LDS Family History Library, “Szembruk (Grudziądz),” database, Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja, Family Search (familysearch.com: accessed October 2017), Kaniecki -Kalynowski marriage; citing Germany, Preußen, Westpreußen, Groß Schönbrück – Church records. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS8M-3HYY