Jankowski Family Came from Posen
Łukasz Jankowski, the father of Martha Jankowska Maciejewska Warner Malyszka, immigrated to the United States with his parents Jakób and Petronela Jankowski and his siblings. In German, their names were Lucas, Victoria, Josef, Andreas, Michael, and Stanislaus. They left Hamburg, Germany on 1 Apr 1888 on the ship Rugia and arrived at the port of New York on 16 Apr 1888.
The Jankowski family came from the Posen province in Prussia, the German occupied part of Poland in the nineteenth century. Posen was in the historic region called Wielkopolska or Greater Poland.
In Buffalo. Erie, New York, Jakób Jankowski and Petronela Musiał had an American born baby Jakób, born 13 July and baptized 15 July 1891 at St. Stanislaus Church.
The baptism record said that both of Jakób‘s parents came from Kaźmierz, Posen.
Polish Jacob Jankowski and Petronella Musiał were not landowners in the German province, and moved around a bit. The anti-Polish aspects of Kulturkampf probably contributed to their decision to bring their family to America.
Petronela Musiał was born in Gorszewice near Kaźmierz in 1845 to Józef Musiał and Magdalena Skowrońska. Her godparents were Tomasz Skowroński and Anna Gwarna.
Jakób JANKOWSKI and Petronela MUSIAŁ had the following children:
- Łukasz JANKOWSKI, born 18 Oct 1867, Kazmierz, Samter, Posen, Preußen; married Anastazya MAŁECKA, 12 Jan 1892, Buffalo, Erie, New York; he died 27 Apr 1931, Buffalo, Erie, New York.
- Wiktorya JANKOWSKA, born 23 Nov 1870, Nietschajna, Obornik, Posen, Preußen; married Stanislaw MALCZEWSKI, 1888, Buffalo, Erie, New York; she died 2 Jun 1944, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan.
- Józef JANKOWSKI, born 18 Mar 1874, Wilczyna, Samter, Posen, Preußen; married Katarzyna JAWORSKA, 1896, Buffalo, Erie, New York; he died 13 Sep 1923, Buffalo, Erie, New York.
- Stanisława JANKOWSKA was born in 1877 in Duszniki, Samter, Posen, Preußen. She died in 1878 at the age of 1 in Duszniki, Samter, Posen, Preußen.
- Andrzej JANKOWSKI was born on 6 Nov 1878 in Duszniki, Samter, Posen, Preußen. He was also known as Andrew Miller. He died of coronary sclerosis on 2 Jan 1940 at the age of 61 at Ford First Aid in Dearborn, Wayne, Michigan. He was buried at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Southfield, Oakland, Michigan.
- Michał JANKOWSKI was born on 28 Sep 1882 at Popówko, Oborniki, Oborniki in Popowko, Obornik, Posen, Preußen.
- Stanisław JANKOWSKI was born on 11 May 1887 at Popówko, Oborniki, Oborniki in Popowko, Obornik, Posen, Preußen.
- Jakób JANKOWSKI was born on 13 Jul 1891 in Buffalo, Erie, New York. He died of lobar pneumonia on 16 Jul 1936 at the age of 45 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. Jacob was buried at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Southfield, Oakland, Michigan.
In 1900, Jacob and Petronela Jankowski lived at 84 Lombard Street in Buffalo, Erie, New York, with their sons Stanisław and Jacob.
Jakób Jankowski became sick in 1903 and 1907, and the family was unable to care for him. He was admitted to the Erie County Almshouse.
He was listed as an inmate of the Erie County Hospital in the 1910 census.
When the University of Buffalo took over the site, the Almshouse building was repurposed as Hayes Hall. It is now the UB School of Architecture and Planning, a South Campus historical landmark.
Jakób Jankowski died on 24 Feb 1912 and was buried by his family 26 Feb 1912 in Saint Stanislaus Roman Catholic Cemetery, Cheektowaga, Erie County, New York.
Petronela Jankowska died in Hamtramck, Wayne, Michigan, on 26 Jan 1917. Information was supplied by her son Andrew, who used the name Miller.
Petronela was buried alongside her husband Jakób Jankowski at Saint Stanislaus Roman Catholic Cemetery, Cheektowaga, Erie County, New York, on Feb 1, 1917. In Polish ojciec means father and matka means mother.
- “Ancestry Passenger Lists,” database, Ancestry (ancestry.com: accessed 14 March 2019), Jacob and Petronella Jankowski and family; citing Passenger Lists.
- “Projekt BaSIA,” database, Baza Systemu Indeksacji Archiwalnej, BaSIA (www.basia.famula.pl: accessed 2 May 2019), Petronella , parents: Józef Musiał , Magdalena Skowrońska; citing church records or Urząd Stanu Cywilnego (Civil Registry Office).
- Erie County, New York, Poor House Ledgers, Volume 6. Register of Persons received at the Erie County Alms House, January 1, 1908-December 31, 1923; Jacob Jankowski, image #77; B&ECPL Digital Collections, Buffalo, New York.
- 1910 Federal Census, census of inmates in almshouses and poorhouses, Buffalo, Erie, New York, Series: A1978; Reel: A1978:32; Record Number: 6496, Jacob Jankowski; digital images, (: accessed 24 September 2019); Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910.
- Erie County, New York, Poor House Ledgers, Jacob Jankoski, 24 February 1912.
- “Find a Grave,” database, Find a Grave (findagrave.com: accessed 26 January 2019), Jakob Jankowski; citing cemetery records.
- 1900 Federal Census, New York, population schedule, Buffalo Ward 11, Erie, New York, Petronela Jankowski; digital images, Twelfth Census of the United States (online : accessed 30 January 2019); National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623.
- 1910 Federal Census, New York State, population schedule, Buffalo Ward 8, Erie, New York, Jacob Jankowska; digital images, NARA microfilm publication T624 (: accessed 14 March 2019); Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910.
- “Michigan Death Records,” database, Ancestry.com (ancestry.com : accessed 24 September 2019), Piotronella Jankowski; Michigan Department of Community Health, Division for Vital Records and Health Statistics, Lansing, Michigan.
- Find a Grave, Petronela Jankowski.
- BaSIA, Stanislawa , parents: Jacob Jankowski , Petronella Muszał.
- BaSIA, Stanislawa Jankowska (9 months) , parents: Jakob Jankowski , Petronella Muszał.
- BaSIA, Andreas , parents: Jacob Jankowski , Petronella Muszał.
- “Michigan Death Records,” database, Ancestry.com, Andrew Miller [Andrew Jankowski].
- Find a Grave, Andrew Jankowski.
- BaSIA, Stanisław Jankowski.
- “Michigan Death Records,” database, Ancestry.com, Jacob Jankowski.
- St. Stanislaus Bishop & Martyr RC Church (Buffalo, New York), , Baptism, III-100, Jakób Jankowski; FHL microfilm , https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS4N-64SM-V?i=691&cat=23415.
- Find a Grave, Jacob Jankowski.
- “New Collection: Erie County Poorhouse Records”, Grosvenor Room Genealogy & Local History, November 3, 2017, https://grogenealogylocalhistory.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/alms-house-image-1899.jpg, Reproduction by Permission of the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, Buffalo, New York